Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Best Vegetarian Pizza in Astoria. For Joey.


Grand Avenue Pizza
Originally uploaded by jggrossm.
Astoria has *lots* of pizza. And if you can't find good pizza in New York, where can you find it? I don't eat a lot of meat, so I'm always looking for good vegetarian eating options. This posting is severely bent in that direction.

There are *two* outstanding vegetarian pizza options in our neighborhood. And a third honorable mention. Get Grand Av for truly interesting, New York style pizza. Get Boston Pizza for a filling, Greek, veggie pizza. Try Napoli for nice sauce, good crust and excellent pastas.

Grand Avenue Pizza is probably the first thing I ate when I moved to Astoria, seven years ago. They have an awesome foccacia slice that you can get with or without cheese. It has a great spicy tomato sauce that's really unique. It's cheap eats and Sooooo good. They have lots of other interesting options, too. This is Astoria's most classic pizza joint and integral to any Astoria food tour.

I stole my pics from this dude. Grand Avenue Pizza is on the Southwest corner of 30th (once known as Grand) Av & 35th street.

Boston Pizza is a Greek pizza joint, and like all Greek eating establishments, has injected Greekness into its food. This has never been done more successfully than with Boston Pizza's vegetarian pie. Feta cheese, olives, and a variety of vegetables make this a must-deliver for any Friday night Yankees broadcast. There are two brothers who own and run Boston pizza. One does the early shift, the other, the late. I challenge you to tell them apart. If you're feeling like you want to beef up your order, run, don't walk, to their eggplant parm. Its made over *french fries* with a nice Greek salad on the side. Genius. Boston Pizza is on the Southeast corner of Broadway & 38th Street.

When I lived on 34th Av, I ordered Napoli's penne a la vodka about 10,0000 a week. Napoli Pizza & Pasta also makes a nice pie. They have a nice sauce and crunchy crust. I haven't been there in a while, so I hope they're still there! If they are, Napoli Pizza & Pasta is on 35th Avenue between 33rd & 34th Streets.

Enjoy!

- Joey