Monday, August 15, 2005

Sunswick (The Neighborhood)

I am hereby re-dubbing the area North of Queens Plaza & Northern Blvd, but south of Broadway, as "Sunwick". It's too far South to be Astoria and too far North to be Long Island City. For example, "I live in Astoria, but the community garden is in Sunswick". Or "I ate 4 dozen eggs for breakfast at Cup. Ya' know, the big dinerish place in Sunswick". "I drank my boyfriend under that table at Sunswick - in Sunswick." (An unlikely scenario.) "Tupelo was in Sunswick and then some greedy landlord yoinked thier lease away to put in a crudy grocery store that won't even be happening now. Now there's jack at that particular location in Sunswick."

Sunswick is actually a historically accurate name for the area.

So, are you with me?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Dutch Kills Business group might be annoyed with you, but the real estate agents will flock to the new name.

Unknown said...

I think you're right. You'll have to make sure to casually drop it in conversation sometime this week.

beXn said...

as a resident of said zone, i'm totally down! saying i live in "astoria" makes people think "ditmars" while "long island city" conjures up lofty warehouses and the waterfront. when i was moving in everyone kept referring to our block as "astoria" but upon checking, we're definitely in LIC.

Unknown said...

Be - The LIC boundary is just silly. No longer! It's all Sunswick now. (I hope the bar doesn't mind!)

PS. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup is totally the best flavor at Uncle Louie G's!

beXn said...

i LOVE chocolate peanut butter cup! i went through a phase of that last year. i followed with regular peanut butter (chips, not cups) and then did a bunch of fruit flavors. be's been stuck on passion fruit lately.

Unknown said...

So, are there two of you? One is Be and the other Xn?

Anonymous said...

You'd have to shift your boundaries. If Kauffman ASTORIA studios is on 35th ave then 35th Ave is definitely w/o a doubt Astoria. besides, i live btwn 34th and 35th aves and am more than proud to say i live on the Steinway side of Astoria.

David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...

I'd want to start it east of 21st St., but otherwise, I'm with you 100%. Always had a problem with the LIC/Astoria distinction.

beXn said...

well, i'm "beXn" which is "bean" (had this name since high school) and both of us are "be," short for bebe (you know, those embarrassing silly names you give each other that somehow stick around forever).

Unknown said...

aha! Now I get it. Very kind of you to devulge that. =)

Anonymous said...

I came up with this acronym a while back:
A.S.L.I.C. (asslick) for Lower Astoria, Upper LIC.

I thought it was kinda funny, since I live there. Sunswick is the bar that always plays pretty crappy music, so if it were up to me to name the area, it wouldn't be Sunswick.

Unknown said...

Fortunetly, for the rest of us, its not up to you.