Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Are You in the Zone?

The Hurricane Evacuation Zone, that is.

I am one of those people that needs to live within a few miles of a substantial body of water, be it a river, lake, or ocean. I love that Astoria is right on the East River, despite the East River's reputation of non-cleanliness and disposed bodies. However, being near the water makes us somewhat vulnerable to the whims of nature, in the form of flooding and hurricanes. Apparently we are at risk for them here in NYC, and being on the western edge of Queens we could see massive flooding in some areas. Curious to know whether or not you're gonna get soaked during the next hurricane? Well, you can check here, to find out whether your address falls within one of New York City's hurricane evacuation zones. Brought to you by the Office of Emergency Management of New York City. I checked my address and I am in no danger. Are you...?

No comments: