Thursday, November 23, 2006

Astoria Weekend Edition 24.11.06

Well, I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving — mine was nice and chill here in Astoria, just the way I wanted it. Kind of a gross day, but I was happy that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade happened despite the wind and rain. We're in for a nice sunny weekend, which will be great for you shoppers out there on Black Friday. For some local shopping, head on over to Candy Plum boutique, Blue Eye Boutique, or the Blooming Company. Besides shopping (or not shopping), you can do some wine tasting, savor some Rivette at the AMMI, check out the 2006 Emerging Artist Fellowship Exhibition at Socrates (and consider a copy of their new book while you're at it), or head on over to the Art-O-Mat. You can also hang out in the Ditmars area and watch the filming of The Accidental Husband, with Uma Thurman. I hear they'll be filming in our fair city until January.

If you get hungry, hop on over to the San Antonio Bakery #2, where I've been eating lately. I'd forgotten just how good their hot dogs completas are. I recently stopped into the Heliopolis Deli (32-16 Broadway) and was so glad that I did. Wonderful selection of beer, and they sell an addictive product that they make in-house: a mixture of feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, hot peppers, and olive oil. Amazing! I could eat it every day. They've also got tasty baba ghanoush and wonderful dolmas. If you haven't already, you need to check this place out. I've also heard great things about Marjana, a new Morroccan restaurant on Steinway. Apparently the most expensive thing on the menu is $11.

More fun, here.

No comments: