The Shoreline Cleanup is part of the 21st Annual International Coastal Cleanup, a national event organized by the American Littoral Society. Thousands of volunteers around the world (80 countries, to be exact, and 20 sites in Queens) will be cleaning up their beaches and shorelines, as well as recording the garbage they collect there. The shoreline cleanup will be taking place here in Astoria at Astoria Park. There will also be cleanup events at Hallets Cove (near Hallets Cove Playground) and at Socrates. Here are the details from Green Shores:
- What: 21st Annual International Coastal Cleanup
- When: Saturday, September 15, 9am-12:30pm
- Where: Astoria Park Registration in front of the War Memorial, Astoria Park, along Shore Boulevard.
- Who: All are welcome, though young folks should be accompanied by an adult. Wear hard soled shoes and be prepared to get a bit wet and dirty. Garbage bags and gloves will be provided, though if you have your own gloves please bring them.
- Sponsored by: Green Shores NYC, Astoria/LIC Waterfronts Park Alliance, and Partnership for Parks
The cleanup is open to anyone who wants to help, who is 14 years an older. If you need more information or have questions, feel free to contact Karen Overton at 718-706-8044 or Karen.Overton@parks.nyc.gov . We hope to see you there!