Thursday, February 07, 2008

Astorian Weekend Edition 07.02.08

I'm back! Thanks to flooz for covering last week - I learned this week that a tree knocked out my internet - 7 days without internet is like an eternity! Oh well, I did end up catching up on my Netflix queue...

Now, if you're of the romantic persuasion, this is the time to make your Valentine's Day reservations. Astoria has a lot of lovely options, including Bistro 33 ($50 prix fixe), Mundo ($65 prix fixe) 718, L'Incontro, Stove, and Locale. More on this subject next week.

Take a visit to the Czech Republic this weekend at the Beer Garden. Thursday night at 7 p.m. the Laco Dezci Jazz Orchestra plays in the Beer Cellar restaurant. No cover, no minimum. Then on Saturday at 7 p.m. they're showing a selection of recent Czech films (in Czech with English subtitles): With Kisses from Your Love (Libam te a miluji); Low Level Flight (Nizky let). Both are directed by Jan Sikl.

I also walked by Inside Astoria (37-20 Ditmars) on my way back from voting Tuesday, and noticed they are having a sale. I love that place, and they always have interesting stuff there.

On Sunday evening, stop by the Albatross Bar (36-19 24th Avenue) for $5 Cosmos!

I've also been spending some time at Cafe Soleil (Astoria Blvd South between 37th and 38th Streets) and love it. They've got free wifi, tasty snacks, and normal sized lattes. Small means small, Starbucks! But my favorite thing at Soleil is the fresh juice. I had apple, carrot, orange juice last weekend and it was fantastic! The space is really cute, too.

For something completely different, attend either the Yixing Teapot or Chinese Brush Making Workshop at the Brickhouse Ceramic Art Center (10-34 44th Drive). Registration Fee is $110 for each, and that includes materials fee and lunch.

Lastly, our friend Zora mentions Leng Thai (33-09 Broadway), which has been open for about a month. I peeked in the other day and it looked really nice in there. I hear the food is pretty good, too. Check it out and let us know what you think.

1 comment:

thwany said...

thanks for all the great reccomendations