Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Astoria Bagel Hunt


It may sound like a simple task to do in New York City, but finding the perfect bagel is not so easy. When I first moved to Astoria, I knew good food was all around me: Greek restaurants in full supply; sushi at my fingertips; the city’s best diner in 1999. But I was not satisfied. I needed to find the place to fill my weekend-morning carbohydrate desires. It took a little while and a little help from Yelp, but I found my Astoria bagel.

The bagel pictured here is perfection. It’s an everything bagel from the Astoria Bagel Shop on Ditmars Blvd., between 28th and 29th Street. It is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. The bagels are always fresh and chewy, with a little crunch on the bottom (which is my favorite part), and they are huge! They have a large variety of cream cheeses to choose from and seating. It’s a great place for a cheap and delicious breakfast. And I’m pretty certain I’ve found my perfect bagel in Astoria and in the rest of NYC.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

1) It's Ditmars BOULEVARD...not avenue.
2) I don't think they are open long during the day. Do you know thier hours of operation?
3) How are they compared to Brooklyn Bagels; which is closer to 31st Street on Ditmars?

Unknown said...

One of my favorite places to go after a long night of drinking.

They are so piping hot at 4am that you can't hold them without burning your hands.

Next time, skip the taco truck on 30th, drive past Frankies Pizza on 31st and see how fast the butter melts on your fresh cinnamon raisin!

JoeyP said...

Tough to compete with Brooklyn Bagles.. they are awesome

Unknown said...

I'm not in love with vibe at Brooklyn Bagels even tho the bagels are good.

NYCMacUser said...

Brooklyn Bagel still uses no sugar, the old fashioned way, to plump up their bagels. I just ignore the vibe. I go for the authenticity and the goodie goodness!

Anonymous said...

Lots O Bagels - 3005 Broadway, Astoria. Amazing spreads. The best in the hood!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the bagels are to die for too of course @ Lots O Bagels...

kelly said...

Try bagel house on Ditmars and 38th. I live near astoria bagel, but walk past it for bagel house. Their veggie cream cheese is like no other!

Anonymous said...

I live a block away from Astoria Bagel, and I still walk all the way past that and Brooklyn Bagel just for my beloved Bagel House bagels every weekend. Not a fan of Brooklyn's overly-large, sweet bagels...and Astoria Bagel and I have never been a good match. I realize this is extremely personal for everyone, but for me, they're lacking in flavor and lose their good texture the minute they stop being hot. Toasting doesn't even help. It's too bad, because they're so close!

Kerry said...

Nothing can compete with Bacon Scallion cream cheese at Brooklyn Bagel.

JRae said...

I second Lots O Bagels on Broadway! Mmm Whole Wheat Everything with Bacon Scallion Cream Cheese... Ditmars is a little too far for me to schlep in the morning (I live near 30th Ave). But maybe one of these days I'll make it out there to compare... :)

Bridget said...

Bagel house on Ditmars between 38th and Steinway has delicious bagels, they're open untila bout 6 on weeknights, and the owner is nice. I like them way more than any other bagels I've had in Astoria. Anyone know of a good bagel place in the 30th Avenue Broadway area?

deannagabriel said...

glad to see im not the only person who frequents astoria bagel on her way home from the bar! hands down my favorite bagel in the city! my out of town family makes me bring home a dozen or so astoria bagels for them all the time.

Unknown said...

I like it this really good information,
thanks for sharing, nice blog and article
Vimax asli
Vimax pills
Obat perangsang wanita
Celana Hernia
Obat Vimax
Meizitang Botanical
Pelangsing Cepat Alami
Pelangsing Tubuh Alami