Monday, March 15, 2010

Puppy borrowing near Astoria. AKA volunteer dog walking

Coming from the Midwest, I know I miss having big, loving dogs around. Especially when the spring weather hits, like it did this weekend, I wish I had a canine companion to stroll with. A run in Astoria Park would be so much more fun with a four-legged buddy …

If a small Astoria apartment prevents full puppy ownership, think about borrowing one for a few hours at BARC – Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition. This no-kill shelter in Williamsburg – just a short jaunt on the G train away – is almost constantly in need of volunteer dog walkers.

Dog walk volunteering is fun and free. You can request buddy dogs that are friends if you want to come with a buddy of your own. It’s not exactly in Astoria, but it’s close. And the animals come from all over.

I did my first round of service with NY Cares, but I plan to start working with them directly to schedule walk times. Even though we were out for nearly three hours, Molly (pictured above) and I had a great time – I wish I could bring her home with me.

1 comment:

wewalkdogs said...

Walking your dog in the city requires a special level of attention and awareness. If you're a first time dog owner in the city, it's worth reading a few words advice regarding what kind of things to look out for.

Dog Walking