Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mexican in the 'Hood

There are a few new Mexican places open or opening soon in Astoria. This weekend I went to Guacamole, a nice little place on Broadway (between Steinway and 38th Street) that replaced a fast-food Mex place (that's what the waitress told me). The space is calming with the green walls, and the food is definitely tasty. I had a chicken and vegetable quesadilla and my dining companion had a beef wrap; we shared a chicken tostada. The best thing about the meal was the salsa chile de arbol, a red-yellow spicy pureed sauce served on the side. The guacamole was very good, too. I had a glass of horchata, which was particularly creamy and not overly sweet. I wonder if they put dairy in it...

Walking home from Guacamole, we passed by Luna de Juarez a soon-to-be-open restaurant on the corner of Steinway and 28th Ave, the location of the old Santorini Cafe. I read about this place originally on astorians, and from what I can gather from her message the grand opening is this Friday:
they have a great chef who just loves to cook and supposedly the Guacamole will be done table side, the Fajitas nothing like your use to, and they will make their own mole, hopefully with this great Colombian Chocolate Cordillero.
There's also been chatter about a new place opening up where the old All-Star Burger was on 31st Street near Ditmars under the subway. The lease is held by the same person who owns Agave Restaurant in Manhattan, so it's expected that this will be the Astoria outpost of this well-received Southwest restaurant. I've peeked in the space while walking by and it's looking really nice inside. And yeah, while it's not really a Mexican place, it's definitely worth mentioning. Astoria has nothing like this, so it's very exciting to see a new cuisine come to town.

4 comments:

jenny bento said...

There's also Tacos Mexicanos kitty corner--by the fruit market. Excellent food and horchata. Num.

Marcos said...

Let us not forget "Original Mexican Food" on 29th Street near 30th ave. where I have had probably the best Mexican food outside of Mexico. Reviewed here in 2006:
http://astorianyc.blogspot.com/2006/05/secret-spot-for-lunch.html

megc said...

Yep, yep, I like both places. But they've been around for a while. I was highlighting the new stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Mexico because of their yummy delicacies.



Laby[double breasted suits]