Thursday, June 19, 2008

Astorian Weekend Edition 19.06.08

Happy Solstice Weekend! According to my sources, the Summer Solstice officially occurs on Friday, June 20, 2008 at 7:59 p.m. EDT. One of the best solstice events I've been to is at Socrates Sculpture Park, which means it's local... and free! It's a great event for the entire family. This year's event is on Saturday, and there will be music, art, face painting, and more! Festivities start at 5 p.m.

As reported earlier this week, a great summer meal can be had at Mundo (31-18 Broadway #E). I loved the cherry soup, and my other two fave items are the carrot dip and Red Sonja. The warm semolina helva is phenomenal - I've not had anything like it.

One of the things I like to drink in the summer is fresh juice. Both Igloo (22-11 31st St) and Soho (22-26 31st St) have impressed me with their fresh juices. I'm partial to the carrot-apple-orange at Soho and the carrot-apple at Igloo. Igloo also has smoothies with Tasti-D-Lite. The juice and smoothies are particularly good after a nice workout, too.

There's stuff going on at PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC), too! That Was Then...This Is Now starts on Sunday, inspired by artistic and socio-political climate of the late 1960s. The installation "PF1 (Public Farm One)" should be ready for harvesting this Sunday as well.

1 comment:

M said...

Solstice @ Sculpture park over the Mermaid Parade? Tough choice.