Monday, July 13, 2009

Best Kept LIC Secret (Until Now)




Last week I mentioned that an extension of LIC's Gantry State Park has opened. It's not only delightful and relaxing, it's still pretty empty. I'm assuming that not many people have heard about this unique locale, which boasts the best view of Manhattan that I've ever seen as well as cheery hammocks, wooden lounge chairs and plenty of grass. On a sunny day such as this past Saturday, there was lots of room everywhere and many quiet spots to enjoy some peace. I'm including pictures, which will help set the scene. I hope that you check this park out soon--but don't spread the word too much, let's keep this beauty our little secret.

How to get there - 7 Train to Vernon Blvd/Jackson Avenue
Walk behind 47-20 Center Blvd and enjoy the view!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't let the secret out!! This place is beautiful. I was there for the third time this Sunday and walked right up to a wooden lounger where I sat for a few hours. The view is great and the park is clean. It is a great addition to LIC/Astoria!

Anonymous said...

We just went last Sunday...feels like you're on vacation when you go there. Lets def keep it quiet!

Anonymous said...

Is this a secret? That park has been there for ten years.

Unknown said...

@sticher00: the park expanded at the end of June, adding six new acres to the park including more promenade, lounge chairs, and the high demand hammocks.

Anonymous said...

I know, I just didn't know it was a secret, especially since it's part of the same park. They did a nice job, I expect it to become busy on nice days.

Fooditka said...

Well it's not really a secret but I think that the new portion of the park is a bit hidden from the rest of it. It was also a little empty last weekend, that's why I thought that people haven't "discovered" it yet.

megc said...

It looks amazing! Love the lounge chairs. Must visit soon.

Kage said...

There are geese everywhere, poop all over the lawn. It's not good at all, no fun. rats too.

Fooditka said...

I don't agree Kage - I didn't see any of those things.

Mangoleira said...

Actually, my Director at my work lives there and has stated that they should allow dogs to roam on the walk way since there is a problem with rats, especially because of the extremely rainy season. However, you'll see rats anywhere in NYC; it doesn't stop people from taking the train. This place is phenomenal.