Monday, December 12, 2005

I've finally found pizza in Astoria!

Sometimes it seems like the best places in Astoria are the ones I've been ignoring. They just keep passing through my peripheral vision until I stumble right into them.

I believed that there just wasn't great pizza here in Astoria. Now, I've been known to order a pie from Grand Avenue or Napoli's now and then, but really, nothing seems to beat Bleeker Street.

Well, now I stand corrected. Yesterday Steve and I took a stroll down Steinway to see what we could see and popped into Rizzo's Pizza. I'm a thin crust gal, so it's rough going usually. Nothing could have prepared me for this elegant pan shaped crust. They had several different innovative choices including their standard square slices that they will "put anything you want on it, if they have it in". I got the day's special (Margarita) and Steve got the mushroom. The crust crackled so satisfying, and the whole piece was so light. No grease dripping about! It was freaking fantastic! Best pizza in Astoria, bar none.

The menu says they'll do all kinds of stuff upon request including sell you their sauce or dough. I'll love to make pizza, but not dough, so that's clutch. They also have salad, gelati and all that jazz.

After scarfing down our slices [Mr. Rizzo, I presume] asked us how we liked them. Of course we loved them and he said that he'd been shipped the wrong kind of tomatoes - apparently why he made the margarita. No harm done so far as I can tell. He was super-friendly and seemed to know that we hadn't been there before - he must know everyone who comes in!

Two slices & a small soda: $5 and change. Not bad.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

quite right you are! its been a minute since i've been to Rizzo's. Def Gud Stuf!!! i really like Polito's too. They are off Steinway somewhere around Broadway i think. Have you been?

Karima said...

starving...going there now.

Anonymous said...

Politos is SO GOOD. Love their sauce.

Jenn~*Firelight Jewelry*~ said...

give star on steinway a shot, fresh mozzarella and tomato, yummmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pizza tips. I'm still a big fan of Sac's on Broadway and 29th. Thin crust, fresh mozzarella... can't go wrong.

Unknown said...

I've never been able to get into Sac's for some reason. It's good, but expensive. Rizzo's is cheaper and, I think, better. Plus it's a real pizza joint.

I'm not sure I know Polito's, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Jenn~*Firelight Jewelry*~ said...

Politos is next to Cronin and Phelan's on Broadway right off Steinway street.

Unknown said...

ah - the hippie roll place. I've been there. They have good 'za, but I think it pales compared to Rizzo's.

Shine said...

I just called Rizzo's out of desperation for any kind of good pizza...and wow.

I just had a five minute personal conversation with the owner, Mr. Rizzo, and he sounded like the most passionate pizza man I've ever met.

I can't wait to try this pizza, and go down to the shop and introduce myself. That is a NY attitude if I've ever seen one. Hats off, Mr. Rizzo!

Tara said...

Rizzo's pizza is really good...BUT, I like true NY pizza with a little more crust and a lot more cheese & toppings. Where can I find THAT in Astoria?! We order from Due Amici a lot, but it can be bland sometimes. We also order from Portabellas, but the pizza usually arrives cold...

Unknown said...

I happened upon Ani's Pizza completely by accident, and it's my favorite pizza in Astoria now. It's off the beaten path on 25th ave and 44th st, which is right around the corner from my apt, yet after living on 43rd st for 3 years, I just found it. I agree that Rizzo's is tasty, but like Tara, I need my pizza with bite... generous sauce, generous cheese. And they have as much passion about their pizza and customers as Mr. Rizzo. I always get a pie, but they're heros are awesome as well. Also, they're fried calamari is waaaay better than I've had in most Italian restaurants, which was a huge pleasant surprise.

pauly39 said...

The pizza is decent but over-priced. Upon ordering, they told us it would take 15 minutes. We decided to take a walk and came back less than 10 minutes later to find our pizza sitting there, lukewarm. The girl then proceeded to separate the pizza into twos with her hands and re-warm it in the oven, then stick it on 4 plastic trays. I have never in my life had my pizza separated and placed onto plastic trays (especially having someone touch it with their hands) - this was appalling. When we questioned what she was doing, we were met with an attitude. We lost our appetite and decided to take the pizza to go. When we asked for a box, they placed the smallest box available on the counter for us. Since we had 5 slices my boyfriend asked for a larger one, and they placed a second small box on the counter. After finally getting the appropriately-sized box, we left completely unsatisfied.

Also, the large plain pie is 19 dollars and one extra topping is 3 dollars. Not worth it!

Anonymous said...

I love pizza! I'm craving for this.



Laby[pinstripe suit]