Saturday, February 11, 2006

The New Crack?


That would be Sabra hummus. I bought some the other day at my local Trade Fair (and then another container of it today) and was blown away by how good it is. It's truly the best store-bought hummus I've ever eaten! It's very rich and creamy (just like it says!), and really balanced - not too salty or overly acidic. It tastes just plain delicious and has quite an addictive quality to it; I had a hard time putting it down. I know there are scads of fans of the Sabra hummus. It's a local product, by the way, produced in Astoria. Tonight I ate it with a brand of pita I'd never seen before, Astoria Pita:



It's made in Long Island City. Love the images of the Triborough and Queensborough bridges on the wrapping! Just wish the Hellgate Bridge had made it on there. It's fine Greek-style pita (so, no pocket) and went well with the hummus. I do have to disagree with their claim on the packaging that this pita is "Perfect for...tacos." That's just plain wrong. Keep it away from the Mexican food!

All in all, Sabra hummus and Astoria Pita make for a very tasty snack.

12 comments:

Harlan said...

Yes yes yes! Get the chunky version -- it's absolutely the best hummus ever.

megc said...

Harlan, thanks for the tip! I had their "Supremely Spicy" hummus and it was really delicious and quite spicy, yummmm! Two other comments about the pita: I don't know about you, but I find the images of the twin towers on the wrapper a bit disconcerting. And their statement "Perfect for...bread" is kinda funny - it already IS bread! It makes no sense. All things considered, though, it's pretty good pita and I bet it would be really good toasted as well.

Zora said...

Sabra hummus kicks _ass_!

It's also made in Astoria--offices are up near Astoria Blvs. I was able to buy some in bulk for a wedding I was catering. _Very_ exciting to have a 10-lb. bucket full of the stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sabra hummus and Astoria Pita both ROCK! I discovered both when I moved to Astoria as well. Food World (by the 36th Ave stop) sells a giant tub of it for $3.99; most other places sell it for $4.99 or more.

megc said...

zora, I'm really happy to hear about the ability to get a 10# bucket of Sabra hummus if I need it. Terrific! And anon, I'm glad to know of this Food World (there are so many supermarkets in Astoria to check out). However, I don't mind buying it from the oft-maligned Trade Fair on Ditmars. So many people despise the Trade Fair. It's really too bad.

Zora said...

I like that Trade Fair on Ditmars. More manageable than the Trade Fair at 30th, if not so completely stocked. And there aren't so many people freaking out.

The Food World at 36th Ave does have the cheap hummus, but otherwise is not so fantastic, compared to other nabe shopping. Maybe more Brazilian things than some of the other places, but I wouldn't race down there. Still, I'm glad to have it on my corner, because when I first lived at 36th Ave. seven years ago, it was half the size and pretty basic.

For bulk hummus from Sabra, you'll need to concoct some business name, so they can set up an account for you. No big deal.

Unknown said...

FYI:::::: they sell all kinds of Sabra flavors on FreshDirect! SCORE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The Sabra Sauteed Eggplant is also truly, truly adictive

megc said...

Bless you, my fellow addicts! I am happy to see so many share in my opinion of Sabra's crazy deliciousness.

Anonymous said...

Sabra's the best around no doubt - but beware - its a LOT more caloric and fattening than the other usuals you see around. That's why its soooooooo good.

Anonymous said...

Astoria Pita has the images of the bridges on the packaging because it is primarily sold out of state.
SInce it is made in the city though, the manufacturer wants to make the association with NYC

Anonymous said...

Delicious I'm craving for this thanks for sharing.



Laby[mens dress pants]