Monday, February 20, 2006

Prezidents Day

So, today in America we recognize two unalive guys that made an impact on this country, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. It's called Presidents Day:
Washington's Birthday, popularly known as Presidents' Day, is a federal holiday in the United States celebrated on the third Monday of February. Previously George Washington's birthday was observed on February 22. By popular opinion the holiday also honors at least Abraham Lincoln and often other Presidents of the United States as well. Lincoln's birthday is February 12, and although it was never a federal holiday, many state and local governments that had observed a Lincoln's Birthday holiday have since abolished it in favor of a "common" holiday.

So yes, we used to recognize them on two different days, as I remember from my childhood in the '70s. In my adult mind, it now means we have one less day off from work. But I don't have a day job anymore so I guess it matters less to me! Anyway, today is a good day to think about history, so I will point you to a thread on the astorians site about history, specifically Astoria history. There's some talk about cemeteries, which I find fascinating. Anyway, I love learning about local history and hope you find it as interesting as I do.

But above all, enjoy your day off today!

No comments: