Friday, March 06, 2009

Il Bambino Scores Again

Il Bambino CafeJust a quick note - tonight I had dinner at Il Bambino and it was fabulous. Their soups are always amazing and tonight was no different - tonight's was potato and spinach and it was wonderful, with complex flavors (I love how they serve it with a crostini slathered with pesto). The baby green beans with croutons, parmesan, and truffle vinaigrette was delectable and remains one of my favorite Bambino menu offerings of all time. Tonight they were offering a crostini with truffle butter and parmesan (it was truffle night for me!), which was out of this world. Also had the goat cheese with fig spread crostini. Finished off the meal with their chocolate truffle cake - this thing is a chocoholic's dream and it can be easily shared by 2-3 people. Cappucino was excellent, and nicely bitter enough to offset the richness of the truffle cake.

I tasted one of their white wines, the Sauvingnon Blanc from New Zealand, which was like a party in my mouth. So tasty. The red we had was a Spanish Grenache and Tempranillo mix and was nice and fruity.

I liked seeing the dining room almost to capacity. This place continues to produce great meals with top notch ingredients. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Still highly recommended (I consider them to be in my top five favorite restaurants in Astoria).

Il Bambino
34-08 31st Ave
Astoria
(718) 626-0087

Photo credit: (cc) Meg Cotner

1 comment:

Adam said...

I always walk by this place, but you prompted me to make a visit last night. Best. Panini. Ever.