Monday, April 23, 2007

Spiderman Week is Coming!

Ok, so I love these Spiderman movies with Tobey McGuire and Kirsten Dunst. But I've enjoyed Spiderman since I was a kid, especially loving the animated series on TV in the 70s, what with its catchy theme song and lyrics ("Spiderman, Spiderman/Friendly neighborhood Spiderman./Is he strong?/Listen bud!/He's got radioactive blood - lookout!/Here comes the Spiderman!"). Anyway, Spiderman Week in NYC is coming up. Astoria plays a big part in it, too - from Wired:
The City of New York has declared the week of April 30th through May 6th "Spider-Man Week in NYC". The marketing ploy starts off with a cast appearance and street festival in the Today plaza in Rockefeller Center (when did they name the plaza after the morning show that monopolizes it every day?). Tobey and Kirsten will then jet off to luxurious Astoria, Queens -- where Peter Parker is from -- to celebrate the film's US premiere at the UA Kaufman Astoria 14 theater. The Tribeca Film Festival will also have simultaneous screenings in the other four boroughs, which will be open to the public.
I guess I didn't realize that Peter Parker was supposed to be from luxurious Astoria!

5 comments:

RSG said...

When is the premiere??

megc said...

See the bolded material: UA Kaufman on 38th Street.

Jenn~*Firelight Jewelry*~ said...

Actually, they have it wrong-Peter Parker is from Forest Hills.

Unknown said...

I was thinking he was from Sunnyside actually. I mean I only know that in the first movie they filmed that famous Sunnyside sign.

megc said...

I thought he was from Forest Hills too - there are other sources that confirm this. But, it's certainly fun to think he is from Astoria! I wonder who started that rumor beyond Wired news...?